The nurses are integral members of the educational team who assist each child develop his/her full potential, physically, mentally and socially. The nurses provide comprehensive health services, teach disease prevention strategies, and promotion of healthy lifestyles.
Role of the School Nurse
- Providing chronic and emergency care for students and staff;
- Conducting mandated health screenings;
- Providing health counseling and education;
- Administering medication and performing assessment;
- Developing Individual Health Care Plans for students with special health care needs;
- Interpreting immunization and health screening data;
- Providing resources to access primary health care services;
- Promoting environmental health and safety;
- Providing linkage to community resources;
- Collaborating with community agencies and accessing resources online.